The Darien Playhouse was constructed in 1927. The prime developer was Darien real estate broker Edward H. Delafield. His office initially occupied one of the first floor retail spaces that faced the Post Road. The theatre section housed a single screen and seated about 550 people. The building’s main entrance and portico faced the Post Road. A balcony and offices were over the first floor retail section.
After a bankruptcy and a renewal, in 2003 the property was acquired by Pear Partners who then contracted All Phase to update, restore, and expand the facility.
All Phase commenced the major renovation in March 2004 by demolishing and removing more than 250 tons of rubble mainly from the interior.
The objective was to maintain as much of the original exterior as possible to retain the building’s historic appearance.
The project was very fast paced and in just over six months the retail spaces became available for tenant fit-out and occupancy
The movie theatre became a smaller two screened theatre; and space was allocated for three other high-end retail tenants. One of the new tenants, a day spa, wanted a very open, airy aesthetic to their space in the building. By replacing the old masonry based structural support with custom engineered steel, All Phase was able to open the structure for a 2 ½ story atrium.